Camp Casey Detroit

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Avalon buns on a gray morning


Dear Readers: I stopped @ the encampment this morning with a bag full of buns from the Avalon Bakery. Those who stay the night or open this witness in the morning deserve breakfast and I pray that donors will always make sure that appropriate food is available every morning. I speak about buns and a favorite bakery because for me a potent example of life in a city @ peace is a neighborhood bakery where everyone congregates and greets the morning before going on to work and school. Neighborhood small businesses are the engine of any revival that is likely to take hold in this striken, disinvested city. I am astounded by the continuing appeal of the idea that one large project will somehow save us. I've been here 23 years and I have yet to see the promised salvation. It is the little enterprises that give me hope. A city @ peace is full of people finding ways of making a living in small places where people's needs are recognized, satisfied, and love as well as commerce passes between them! salaam/shalom/amahoro Daniel Duane Spyker

2 Comments:

At 1:06 PM, Anonymous Patricia said...

You know, Avalon Bakery donated a yummy 24-piece pizza to the camp on Saturday. Such community-conscious folks...not to mention being FABULOUS bakers!

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger Linda Flynn said...

Channel 7 will be in front of Commerica Park(Stones Concert) tonight collecting money for the victims of Katrina. If there were a time to be seen and heard it will be tonight. I have been encouraging everyone I see or speak to, to get their socially conscious butts downtown. At the least we can ask for OUR National Guard to come home and help OUR people. Linda

 

Post a Comment

<< Home